Home Forums Pets & Animals Twins!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    • Topics:16
    • Replies:477
    • Contributions:493
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

For the fist time in the 10 years we have been here we have witnessed the birth of twins to a cow in the field behind us.  Not sure if this is a rare event, but it’s certainly a first for us, and maybe a bit of a rarity for the farmer.

The farmer normally coincides calving with the beginning of September, so we ere expecting something to happen soon. We noticed this particular cow had moved away from the rest of the herd and laid down, which is usually an indicator that calf is about to be born.  She did indeed give birth and we watched as it laid there for quite some time apparently motionless, which again we have experienced as normal.

I normally ring the farmer on his mobile to let him know when the first calf arrives, and he is grateful to us for letting him know.  In the time that it took him to arrive a second calf was born to the same mother, and both lay there motionless (you can just see both in the first pic).  Our friendly farmer took one look and summoned a farm hand to arrive swiftly with a tractor fitted with a bucket.  He explained to me that he would be taking both calves back to the farm and putting them on some straw in a barn to warm up.

The tractor arrived, both calves were unceremoniously loaded into the bucket and with ‘mother trotting alongside’ they all took off over the hill to the farm.  Not the most dignified way of entering into this life, but apparently mother and calves are doing fine so far – hardy beasts these Limousin cattle types!  :yahoo:

3+

bluevelvet
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:677
    • Contributions:677
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

Wow spectre , another one being a midwife or husband!  Stinky’s speciality is foals! :yahoo:

3+

Anonymous
    • Topics:147
    • Replies:1429
    • Contributions:1576
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Remember first I saw born I passed out was about 8, horrified watching the farmer up to his arm pit inside the rear end of the cow, Mam had lodger around the same time, he went round inseminating cows, used to often go with him, put me off any ambition to be a vet :scratch:

3+

bluevelvet
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:677
    • Contributions:677
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

Oh Bill that made me laugh, at least it only put you off being a vet! :yahoo:

2+

Anonymous
    • Topics:147
    • Replies:1429
    • Contributions:1576
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Made Babeth laugh BV :rose:

1+

gilly
    Participant
    • Topics:2
    • Replies:52
    • Contributions:54
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

Beautiful…..new lives come into the world.  I am sure they appreciated being put somewhere warm for the first few days and not in the least concerned about how they were transported! :yahoo:

1+

Anonymous
    • Topics:16
    • Replies:477
    • Contributions:493
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

When you are a new born calf that ‘flops’ into the world from your mother’s rear end, dignity doesn’t come into it!   ;-)

1+
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community