Home Forums Pets & Animals The joy of a Puppy.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  marmite 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

britchick
    Participant
    • Topics:28
    • Replies:289
    • Contributions:317
    • ★★★★

We were sort of coerced into the puppy.Neighbours who have it as a holiday home,have two Jack Russells,two Ridgebacks and a parrot.The whole entourage comes over with them,several times a year, for long periods.One of the Jacks has an ongoing love affair going with our Fada.She sits and watches him through the fence for hours,he is totally disinterested.She is such a sweet dog,and I have threatened to kidnap her. So the other Jack was used as a stud dog locally,and as the neighbours didn’t want another dog,and because they knew I loved their Jack,they offered us pick of the litter.We didn’t really decide but when I received a picture of the hours old puppies we were smitten.
    Picked Rosie when she was very tiny,and visited every week watching her grow.She seemed to be the timid one of the group ,and as time went on I was concerned if she would hold her own with boisterous Fada.
    We brought her home at 10 weeks andto my surprise the two dogs got on quite well,she more than holds her own.
    Life changed.I am not an early to bed person,or an early riser.Now 11pm seems very late,and 7.17am,IS very early.I am awoken by piercing yelps.This wriggling mound of puppy flesh is eager for food and cuddles and play.Our lives are dominated by,playing ,cuddling,monitering,feeding and attempting to house train.Of course giving Fada heaps of attention too,to avoid jealousy.
    I hated crates/ cages with a vengeance before,but Rosie was used to one at the breeders.It’s a godsend.She takes heself into it when she tired.I shut her in it when we go out.We are in an open plan house,so difficult to isolate dogs.
    It is shattering,but I wouldn’t change her for the World,will be glad when the house training is done though.😕😕

marmite
    Participant
    • Topics:18
    • Replies:476
    • Contributions:494
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

Having a new animal is a great experience,we have a new kitten,tetley.
    He’s obsessed with the other cats,leaping out from his hiding place,much more entertaining than the tv.
    Cats tend to get clean very quickly,thankgoodness!
    Dogs take more patience,it’s worth it though!

1+

britchick
    Participant
    • ★★★★

Yesterday was a one puddle day .We ate getting there.😀😀

2+

bluevelvet
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:677
    • Contributions:677
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

My sisters’ puppy is a very naughty , chewing machine, socks, shoes, underwear etc. Who is very loved but I suspect is a delinquent !  :-( a beautiful black Labrador !

wurzy2
    Participant
    • Topics:8
    • Replies:363
    • Contributions:371
    • ★★★★

Puppies are great – but labour intensive! Hope that this might be the first Indoor Peeless week for young Rosie, @britchick (although she will probably struggle with the garden temperatures!!)

icarus
    Participant
    • Topics:3
    • Replies:29
    • Contributions:32
    • Explorer

So much sympathy! We have a 7 month old wolfhound puppy and he is still growing fast. He still thinks that he is a baby and can climb onto my lap – bits of him can, but not the lot! Agree about the cage, although he has almost outgrown the largest size.

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

Hows Rosie doing?
    Now it’s warmed up must be easier?

britchick
    Participant
    • ★★★★

Thanks for asking about her PP.She is growing fast and trying to rule the house.Housetraining is hit and miss.Some days we do well,other days shejust pees.Not helped by the dog across the road barking every time they go in the front garden,and we are having work done in the field at the back.So it scares her and puts her off.Not stressing over it as soon the doors will be open all day,so she will be outside mostly.

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

We tried to rescue another older dog a few weeks ago…I,m a sucker for the “I,ve been in the refuge for a year,look at my eyes!”
    It was a disaster..he was a hunting dog…bigger than sensible for us and I doubt he had been indoors in his life.
    We tried ..it was three weeks of constant peeing..fortunately we have a tiled room next to the living room…but it was a constant swimming pool..the weather certainly didn’t help.
    Mr marmite ended up at the doctors with a torn shoulder muscle ..result of too strong dog pulling when walking.
    His arm was fixed with a big screw some 45years ago…too much sport..we were really afraid the screw had dislodged..it hadn’t.
    We had to admit defeat…the dog went to a new home on a farm…so hoping it worked.
    Young dogs usually get the message really quickly.
    Still feel really sad that it didn’t work…it was the first older dog that didn’t work…must be us getting old!

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Topics:32
    • Replies:2065
    • Contributions:2097
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Jen’s dog Pepper died on saturday . It was very quick , but still took 36 hours . There is a hole in our house and hearts .

Life goes on , we are VERRY close to nature so know that life is death and death is life .

We do not like people that say one thing to your face and something different to others  ( forum and PM ) I think it is called  hypocritical ?

WE don’t care about punctuation , just care about those that say what they think and mean what they say .

If  anyone doesn’t like what I say , then just ignore what I say ?  :yes:  :yes:

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

Sorry about your dog..it’s always sad.
    As for the rest…?

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Topics:32
    • Replies:2065
    • Contributions:2097
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Jen’s dog  is dead , we buried her , we are going to the SPA on Friday . :yes:  :yes:

2+

britchick
    Participant
    • ★★★★

Oh Chris,it gives you a physical pain when you lose a pet.So sorry.We were devastated when we lost our Border Terriers so I can imagine how you are feeling. I hope you find a new companion to help fill the big hole that’s left.x

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

There’s one lucky dog sitting in a cold kennel who is about to find a new life..being loved,fed…cared for..that has to be good.Friday is going to be his/her day.🐕

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community