Home Forums General THE EXTRA HOUR

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jeffp 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

marmite
    Participant
    • Topics:18
    • Replies:476
    • Contributions:494
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

Europe is discussing doing away with the change of hour…personally I love the extra hour in winter ..don’t like it too much when it goes forward in the spring..
    Would it change very much?

jo-infrance
    Participant
    • Topics:41
    • Replies:835
    • Contributions:876
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

October 13, 2016 19150. La Corrèze, Limousin.

YES! it would mean that I didn’t have to struggle to adjust my sleep pattern which takes at least a week each time. I would be less disorientated.

franglosaxon
    Participant
    • Topics:8
    • Replies:156
    • Contributions:164
    • Scout
    • ★★★

It annoys me every time I have to change my various watches and clocks, and take several days getting my dog and cat used to the new time. If it had any practical purpose I might be prepared to consider its value, but I can’t see any reason for doing it.

As for the extra hour in bed, it never happens chez moi. A big brown thing makes me get up. I even wake up anticipating him jumping on my bed without the time change. So my sleep pattern is affected for no reason.

And if the disruption is annoying for me, what is it like for hospitals and industries which do not close at night and re-open in the morning.

Time to get rid of this stupid and pointless intrusion.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Topics:32
    • Replies:2065
    • Contributions:2097
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

We don’t take much notice of the hour change , the animals don’t either . We only have one digital clock in the house , that is on the oven, so simple .

When I was working away, we worked 12 hour shifts , so one shift always had to work an extra hour, although the Norwegians , being honest and straightforward people, ( well most of them )  split the change in half. :yes:  :yes:

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

I love that extra hour in bed in winter…magic!
    The reality is that being retired it doesn’t make any difference…I enjoy sleeping!

jeffp
    Participant
    • Topics:7
    • Replies:170
    • Contributions:177
    • Scout
    • ★★★

Last two years we have been on our way home, overnight of the Zebrugge to Hull ferry when the clocks went back. TWO whole hours more in bed.

Mind you, on said ferries they still insist on getting everyone up at some un-Godly hour in order to sell more breakfasts…

britchick
    Participant
    • Topics:28
    • Replies:289
    • Contributions:317
    • ★★★★

I hope it doesn’t change.The extra hour is a bonus,although someone needs to explain it to the dogs.It heralds Spring and Winter to me.

teapot
    Participant
    • Topics:2
    • Replies:33
    • Contributions:35
    • Explorer

The main clock on the mantelpiece has a radio unit inside and adjusts itself via a Paris time signal. one less thing to do and it’s amusing to see the hands whizz round. Apart from that it doesn’t make much difference to me. Still come to france to work either on pools or the house so it starts when it’s light and it stops when it’s dark (well sometimes it stops)

jeffp
    Participant
    • Scout
    • ★★★

I know what you mean about stopping sometimes.

One of our jobs was to remove the downstairs loo which had been off the kitchen, and use the old toilet “room” to become a walk in pantry and access through into the utility.
    That necessitated moving the internal soil pipe, and, despite having started at 8am, it didnt get completed until gone 10pm. My wife was all for leaving it for completion the next day, but there would have been no showers before bed, and I was filthy, plus the only loo was then miles from the bedroom, so completed it was. I admit to having convinced her by pointing out that rats might come out of the open pipe…

I don’t do badly for a little guy in his 60’s sometimes.

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

Jeffp….are you sure you don’t have a second wife in Falaise?this is just the sort of thing mr marmite does!
    Just a note…we came back from the uk yesterday…decided to let the cats sleep where they would…the 6month old kitten selected our bed…of course…at 5am she decided it was food time and did every trick in the book to wake us up..the one that worked was jumping on the remote control and turning the tv on!loudly.
    We fed her!

jeffp
    Participant
    • Scout
    • ★★★

LOL at the kitten. I once stayed at friends who are very concerned for me when I am in France and my wife is still in the UK. Their spare bedroom was in use for another guest, so I was on the “landing”.

I was NOT a happy bunny when one of their four cats decided to jump on my face at first light….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community