Home Forums Pets & Animals Sick Buzzard?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  fruitcake 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    • Topics:147
    • Replies:1429
    • Contributions:1576
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Drove past a buzzard yesterday, just sitting in the road, very odd, didn’t look very aware at all, didn’t look “damaged”, we were a couple of klics down the road by the time we had discussed it. But bird flu came to mind, any ideas you bird folks?

wurzy2
    Participant
    • Topics:8
    • Replies:363
    • Contributions:371
    • ★★★★

Ooh! Hope not, Bill.   I’m not bird folk, although my Husband will tell you that I am like a bad Boy Scout forcing old ladies to cross the road – if I see a bird in the road we just have to stop, because the next car is usually the one that hits it! Sounds as if this one was struck a glancing blow which would probably explain why it was in the road and stunned.  It’s the same when they sometimes chase small birds across my garden and come into contact with my windows – the noise is sickening. I have some heavy leather gauntlets with which to pick up birds of that size.  Wouldn’t want it to start struggling and use its talons on me!  Buzzards, Sparrowhawks, Kestrels etc., all go for a sit down in the sheep shed in the semi-darkness and usually fly off at dusk.  Little birds, left to recover  somewhere safe at the top of a hedge but who later don’t seem terribly well, I give to my Vet who treats them for free.  Don’t like them dying on me – I always take it very personally  :cry:

Anonymous
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Going South across Biscay (on my boat) once, I was on watch at night, when a pigeon flew under the spray hood and settled on my shoulder, knackered.

Took it below put it in a box, water a bit of grub, weather was lousey, we finished up in a small port on the N Spain coast.

He was ringed, so assume a racing bird, let him off next day, off he went heading  North.

I imagined him cursing me, “I’ve done this bit, you daft git”.

Well you try to help, BUT :unsure:

Saddest, mid Biscay again,Ely, severe gale, a Barn Owl heading for America :-(

Storm Petrels, they are survivors, amazing sight in a gale in the wave troughs :-) .

Wandering Albatross in the Southern Ocean, watched them for hours following the ship, not a wing beat as they circle behind, to go slow enough, to match our 15 knots, to be there for the galley scraps. ;-)

wurzy2
    Participant
    • Topics:8
    • Replies:363
    • Contributions:371
    • ★★★★

Have you written a book about your sailing adventures? You should. It’d also give that poor pigeon an address to write to with a complaint  :mail:  :whistle:

you

bluevelvet
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:677
    • Contributions:677
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

I have tried to persuade Bill to do just that,  wuzy2, because I believe there are lots of adventures he could tell us about, all over Europe and beyond. So come on Bill, look at Stinky, he has written loads, and so could you! Its all there, you just need to write it down for us to enjoy!  Please :rose:

Anonymous
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

My principal excuse is, I don’t have Stinkys great talent, of being able to create a very fascinating narrative :rose:

tigre
    Participant
    • Replies:265
    • Contributions:265
    • ★★★★

More than likely the Buzzard had just been grounded by crows, the buzzard is not so agile in the air as smaller birds so they are often menaced by others, usually over food. Poor thing was probably frightened because of the traffic and trying to determine if it was safe to take off again. Bill, if it is bird flu you’ll soon read about it in the local paper.

Anonymous
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

:-) I said, “It came to mind”. ;-)

tigre
    Participant
    • Replies:265
    • Contributions:265
    • ★★★★

I know Bill, I can read!

Anonymous
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

:good:

fruitcake
    Participant
    • Topics:18
    • Replies:216
    • Contributions:234
    • Scout
    • ★★★

You don’t need to have Stinky’s talent @Bill, though I agree that he has indeed got a wonderful talent, just relate the stories as you have done on the different posts, the stories will be just as interesting, they have been so far! Just type them as they’ve happened and as you remember them. :good:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community