Home Forums Pets & Animals Sheep

This topic contains 79 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  farmerchris 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author

whatnow
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:69
    • Contributions:69
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

Not really, just a hobby farmer, with surplus land.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Topics:32
    • Replies:2065
    • Contributions:2097
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

That’s quite a decent hobby then ? For 40 ewes you must have a lot of land , what is the land like in Brittany ? I have visions of heath and gorse , probably nothing like that . Do you do all the work yourself , if so, hats off to you at your age , hope I can still run a flock of sheep in 10 years , that would be lovely . :yes:  :yes:

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

That’s quite a decent hobby then ? For 40 ewes you must have a lot of land , what is the land like in Brittany ? I have visions of heath and gorse , probably nothing like that . Do you do all the work yourself , if so, hats off to you at your age , hope I can still run a flock of sheep in 10 years , that would be lovely . :yes: :yes:

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

We have 50 acres, I have fenced it into small paddocks, I move them every 4/5 weeks so the grass has time to recover and doesn’t get sick, flail and gang mow it 2/3 times a year, to keep weeds and thistles at bay, if that fails we put our goats in to do the job, we don’t feed our sheep in the summer, but give them a few nuts leading up to lambing, I trim their feet and worm them but get some help with shearing, sheep are easy if left to themselves, a little more attention at lambing time, but all in all they are relatively easy.

Anonymous
    • Topics:29
    • Replies:1441
    • Contributions:1470
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

You make it sound so easy….our local farmer seems to work the longest day..always around at 7am…and still slaving at 8pm…cows!maybe I should tell him about sheep!

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

I think it is the same with most things if you do not have to do it seems easier, I have always been an early riser so not a problem for me to walk around the sheep before breakfast.

Anonymous
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

A morning person….when asked if I,m a morning person or a night owl…I say I peak around midday…so I,m neither!

having said that I often feel the day is too short .

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

If you have everything set up right , sheep are pretty easy . Fencing is the priority, once that is in place and they have grass in the spring and a source of water , they look after themselves.  Milking cows is a different thing altogether , twice a day in the milk parlour , not for us sheep men ! Mostly our sheep lamb themselves , just had to help one this year , usually the lambs are standing and dry next to their mum in the morning. Not all like Springwatch !!   :yes:  :yes:

Anonymous
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

Our donkey had a baby…we had no idea it took so long..one day mrpp looked out and said frida has 6legs!…the baby was behind her in fine form!

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

I agree with you Farmer Chris, luckily I do not have to keep sheep for a living, but they tend to look after themselves, lost a couple of lambs to a fox,  but manage to catch the fox before we lost anymore.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

We keep sheep as a pension project , it means that we have a small  income and are registered farmers so pay cotisation .

Never really had a big fox problem ( although our French neighbour lost two lambs this Spring),even though there are a lot of foxes here. Our ewes are pretty feisty when they have new born lambs and the lambs are up and away too, if you don’t catch them the first day then it is hard work afterwards.

As far as trimming hooves , I think that we have never needed to do it because of the rocky terrain here , they are kept short naturally.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Did you figure out which new breed you would like ?

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

No, not as yet, got a couple of months before I need to decide.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

which breeds are on the short list ?

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

I have had to decide against dorper, as they seem to have a lot of foot problems in wet areas and Brittany can be very wet, so now looking a more hardy stock, I liked Cameroon/blackbellies  but then again they prefer sunny climes, so not too sure at the moment.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

you are looking at exotics then ? Not better to get a breed that likes cold and wet ?

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

Not really, thought haired sheep would make life easier, would have liked to get something like Herdwick, but can’t find any around our way, bringing from the UK would be a nightmare with all the paperwork.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

I feel that you are looking for something “special ”

You can still import from the UK , but after the end of Brexit I doubt it . Nothing in France is interesting ?

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

I made spoke to several livestock transporters & breed associations, but couldn’t find anyone willing to bring sheep to France, I also spoke to a lady who bought a couple of pet sheep to France and she told me that it took her about 6 months to get the paperwork in order, and had to hire  a trailer and bring them herself as she couldn’t find a carrier.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Best way is to do it yourself and contact the breeder in the UK first , but there are ” other countries ” than the UK ?

Also , 6 months is ok for paperwork ? Plan  :-)

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community