Home Forums Pets & Animals Sheep

This topic contains 79 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  farmerchris 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    • Topics:29
    • Replies:1441
    • Contributions:1470
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

I agree…god ,twice in one evening….I,m a hypocrite…I love animals …sheep,cows have beautiful eyes…if I had to kill one I could never do it…why should I expect someone els to do it for me?

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Topics:32
    • Replies:2065
    • Contributions:2097
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Because you can , simple fact of life . I don’t think it hypocrite , just the way we are brought up and programmed to remove all the nasty parts of life until you become adult. On my last visit to Holland my youngest daughter thanked me for showing her how rabbits were kept and killed when she was a child ( she is now 41) because she said that it made her appreciate , and still does , where meat comes from . Like carrots . :-)

Anonymous
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

We had two chickens when I was a child…called guts ache and belly ache…I came home and found the feet hanging in the garage and chicken for dinner….didn’t eat any!

i hate anything to do with animals …couldn’t watch lassie…or black beauty…I can’t turn away a stray.

but I can eat lamb ,beef….and sadly enjoy it!

Anonymous
    • Topics:147
    • Replies:1429
    • Contributions:1576
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

I heartily enjoy them :-)

Anonymous
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

Like the new picture Bill !dont eat the goose!

we never ate a chicken that we kept…they grew old gracefully….

1+

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Could be a difficult year again for farmers . Last year there wasn’t enough hay due to the heat , this year everyone went out and made a whole pile of hay but if it carries on raining for a couple of weeks most will rot in the fields .

whatnow
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:69
    • Contributions:69
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

Hi. not a sheep farmer, but have around 40 odd ewes, had them sheared today trimmed their feet and wormed, separated this year’s lamb rams, to fatten for the freezer, I like sheep in the field and on the plate. :whistle:

1+

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Hi there, 40 odd or even ewes makes you a sheep farmer in my book. What breed of sheep do you have ?

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

Texel x Beltex, but looking to change, to Dorper or black belly, next year, if we can find some for a sensible price.

Anonymous
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

Could be a difficult year again for farmers . Last year there wasn’t enough hay due to the heat , this year everyone went out and made a whole pile of hay but if it carries on raining for a couple of weeks most will rot in the fields .

er…………?

1+

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

and what does that mean pitter ?  :-)

Anonymous
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

Page 6…over to you eu!

sorry couldn’t resist!

we all do it..say one thing …then say another…glad to see you’re human!

farmers are certainly human…they are affected by their environment more than we simple people…I don’t even notice the weather some days…I bet you notice it everyday!

i hope the sun shines gentley on your sheep today.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

I wrote a full page answer to your post, the computer seized up and so this is a shorter version .

It was too dry last year there was a shortage of hay , this year more hay was made that is standing in the fields getting wet. These are facts not complaints about the weather.

Our neighbour who has a big farm made a lot of hay, it could have been better if he had made the half first and got that in like smaller farmers did . The reason that farms have become too large to run easily is due to the CAP that got rid of most of the small farmers to make it easier to control the few large farms that are left. Perhaps it is the fault of the farmers in believing what the government tells them ?

I am a small farmer, have only 26 big bails of hay this year ,that is not too difficult to get in before it rains. Also know that increase in turnover doesn’t always mean increase in profit especially in France.

It has been raining here all night, my hayed land is turning green again and being pastured by the sheep so all is well on this farm. :yes:  :yes:

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Hi Whatnow , I had Texel sheep in Holland and had very bad experience with births , so now have Clun Forest for the past 25 years . No problems with lambing and good mothers  I don’t know Dorper , but understand from google that they don’t need shearing ?  :-)

Anonymous
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

I,m happy for you …worried for the bigger farmers….just saying farmers love to complain about the weather…we have good friends who are farmers in the uk..poor things farming in the uk…..not even good Summer’s guaranteed .

we,ve all learnt not to believe what the government says…wonder what macron is up to with his speech later.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Hi Whatnow , I had Texel sheep in Holland and had very bad experience with births , so now have Clun Forest for the past 25 years . No problems with lambing and good mothers I don’t know Dorper , but understand from google that they don’t need shearing ? :-)

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

Not to sure now, have been reading up on Dorper, whilst they do not need shearing, it seems that in a wet climate, they suffer constantly with their feet, not really looking for more work, I am looking for a hardy breed that will thrive in the wet Brittany climate.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

I never have had to cut hooves . Our sheep need their wool for the wet weather, they originally come from the Welsh border with shropshire. Stick to old fashioned breeds ,why do you want to get rid of your Texels ?

whatnow
    Participant
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

Not really getting rid of the Texel x, just thinking of starting another flock with something a bit more interesting.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

woow , so that will make you a real sheep farmer , we have only 55 ewes .

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community