Home Forums Cars, Bikes & Driving More tax for the motorist.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  teapot 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

petejames
    Participant
    • Topics:38
    • Replies:1369
    • Contributions:1407
    • Super Star
    • ★★★★★★★

The government recently decreed a decision would be made regarding the re installation of the ‘Vignette’ or tax disc which was binned in 2000 for private vehicles and 2006 for commercial vehicles. It’s allegedly because the quality of French roads have deteriorated since 2010 causing more accidents. The tax was  binned because it was deemed too costly to collect and resulted in job losses in the tax offices. The shortfall was to be made up by adding a few centimes to the fuel prices so, another con ?

Government reasoning is that the SNCF has to pay an annual fee for the use of the rails so why not motorised vehicles for the use of the roads ?

Motorists are an easy target and if voted in, we will be asked to  pay between 75€-100€ per vehicle.

It will be voted in of course and I suppose the method of payment will be online which will mean not having to employ loads of people and help Macron’s intention of cutting public sector jobs.

As usual in such matters the motorist will be asked to cough up and it’s likely the extra cost to lorries etc will be passed on to the motorist which must push up prices in the shops.

Happy New Year to all us drivers !!

vette
    Participant
    • Topics:11
    • Replies:128
    • Contributions:139
    • Scout
    • ★★★

The simple way of course would be to add a cent or two to fuel prices. Not that I want fuel to rise in price. It would at least mean that those who use the roads the most will pay the most.

jeffp
    Participant
    • Topics:7
    • Replies:162
    • Contributions:169
    • Scout
    • ★★★

In all honesty, I would pay the extra required if I could be sure that what was collected was ring-fenced for the roads, upkeep or building thereof.

But just like in the UK, it will go into general taxation and be swallowed by some vanity project, or used to prop up some ideology or other.

Just think how good UK roads would be if ALL the money we paid in road fund, petrol tax, and vehicle tax had to be used on their building or upkeep?

teapot
    Participant
    • Topics:2
    • Replies:33
    • Contributions:35
    • Explorer

In all honesty, I would pay the extra required if I could be sure that what was collected was ring-fenced for the roads, upkeep or building thereof.
    But just like in the UK, it will go into general taxation and be swallowed by some vanity project, or used to prop up some ideology or other.
    Just think how good UK roads would be if ALL the money we paid in road fund, petrol tax, and vehicle tax had to be used on their building or upkeep?

It will be jeffP, just as soon as we the leave the EU! oh and the 350 million to the NHS also. :yahoo:   :whistle:   ;-)

teapot
    Participant
    • Explorer

They may not need to do it if they buy lots of these, Fining the french for driving too close should net Millions of Euros!
    http://www.sudouest.fr/2018/02/22/video-ceinture-telephone-vitesse-un-radar-multi-fonctions-en-phase-de-test-a-marseille-4223016-4755.php

jeffp
    Participant
    • Topics:7
    • Replies:162
    • Contributions:169
    • Scout
    • ★★★

Ho hum, more policing by taking photos in fixed places and sending out letters demanding money with menaces.

Time we ALL removed our number plates, methinks.

teapot
    Participant
    • Explorer

More Viking funerals for the pompiers to attend :yahoo:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community