Home Forums Pets & Animals Inappropriate

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  wurzy2 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    • Topics:147
    • Replies:1429
    • Contributions:1576
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Sure that the fines, imposed on two major charities in the UK today, will have a seriously negative effect, on them (and other innocent charities).

Who is (mis) managing these organisations, and no doubt, well rewarded for doing a BAD job :-(

robbo
    Participant
    • Topics:7
    • Replies:256
    • Contributions:263
    • ★★★★

October 13, 2016 by a river in 23500 Gioux, near Felletin and a bit further from Aubusson, in the Creuse, once the Limousin, now SW France, or maybe Nouvelle Aquitaine

:scratch: what has happened?

bluevelvet
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:677
    • Contributions:677
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

When people have said they would donate a certain amount of money, these details I understand have been passed on to other charities, so they could get some too! The judge said they would have been fined an awlful lot more, if it hadn’t been for the fact that the monies were ‘donated money’ which would have possibly been a misuse of those donations. :negative:

robbo
    Participant
    • Topics:7
    • Replies:256
    • Contributions:263
    • ★★★★

October 13, 2016 by a river in 23500 Gioux, near Felletin and a bit further from Aubusson, in the Creuse, once the Limousin, now SW France, or maybe Nouvelle Aquitaine

So this is when you donate to a charity following a TV ad?,  then another calls to make  you feel guilty if you  don’t donate to them too, ad infinitum…..

I guess that charities are big business  now and profit driven :negative:

Anonymous
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

My confidence in charities, was severly ‘dented’, the first time, in about 1970, a new Director, C.E. of the RSPCA was appointed the first thing he approved was, replacement of carpets, I won’t say how much they cost, but it was a lot of Old Ladies sixpences in the box.

Even the RNLI, I worked in a boatyard near Plymouth where Lifeboats were maintained, the waste was disgusting, perfect paintwork rubbed off and ‘redone’, Annodes replaced, the boat lived in a boathouse, the Annodes were brand new.

No critisism of the people at the ‘sharp end’ of charities, but something, SOMEWHERE STINKS :negative:

bluevelvet
    Participant
    • Replies:677
    • Contributions:677
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

Have you seen the salaries of the top brass? Disgusting!

My sister in law was working alone in one of the major Charity Shops, for either no money or very little. One day she saw a chap come in and she was serving someone and he disappeared, when she looked up. She went to the back room and said you shouldn’t be in here. He punched her in the face and ran off. She rang the police and the area manager. His response was first……how much did he get away with!  Not are you ok?  She told him, that she was going home and to come and take over. He was on £45,,000 pa :rose:

Anonymous
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Thats dreadful, ???? management?????

Area manager, only, He was on 45k represents a lot of sales :-(

eileen
    Participant
    • Topics:4
    • Replies:60
    • Contributions:64
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

Used to donate and being an avid recycler buying at charity shops.

Before leaving England got very disillusioned as spotted one older charity shop worker at a local car boot with what was obviously not her own personal life time collection of clothes and accessories. She appeared greatly embarrassed when she recognised me as one of her regular visitors at the charity shop and seemed compelled to inform me that all the items were her daughters cast offs???

Maybe true but left me wondering every time I saw her in the shop! still looking embarrassed. Also located near an Antique shop, first thing in the morning the owners partner scurried into the shop to price up any valuable donations  always leaving having paid a miserly price for some of these items!

Also found myself supporting an elderly volunteer in one shop, being spoken to inappropriately by a so called manager. The volunteer was getting flustered adapting to a new till. Told her if it was me I would have gone home, but bless her as she said she enjoyed going into the shop  giving her a purpose in life.

Also had cause to get in touch with the RSPCA, as a neighbours dog tethered up in the garden on a short rope. A man came out eventually said the dog had nearly strangled itself but the neighbour was just given a warning with no action for cruelty instigated. If the dog had died they would probably have given them a pat on the back and told them to not do it again!

My late father became very disillusioned with the RAFA asked for assistance as a pensioner to support his daughter diagnosed with severe mental illness after serving in the services and being medically discharged. Was told no help was available even though he had provided them with all financial proof and that being a pensioner on basic state pension with serious health problems himself he was unable to provide her with the assistance she needed

Having served in the navy during the second world war and never claiming any state support himself throughout his life time he died a very disillusioned man. So am afraid any charity advertising by the likes of SSAFA etc leaves me feeling that unless you are adding to the state deficit by producing yet more children you will not get the support.

Saw the same with the civil service benevolent fund to which I duly paid into by subscriptions every payday. Read their magazine one day at work and decided enough was enough. They were supporting a single mum with new electrical kitchen equipment as she had just separated from her partner ( CERTAINLY HER LIFE CHOICE)

Yes I know not everything is black and white but if some of the charity managers were genuine volunteers who cared about their staff I may feel differently.

Also very glad no longer paying tax in U.K. so not supporting a corrupt UK.

I have no investments to concern me and that live a modest lifestyle  here in France within the French system paying all my dues and accepting that life is not all about money, just looking after ourselves.

Must go as the rewarding garden is calling and charity does begin at home!

Anonymous
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Shame these cases make us so cynical, but I’m afraid I too,became cynical and suspicious a long time ago :-(

whatnow
    Participant
    • Replies:69
    • Contributions:69
    • Adventurer
    • ★★

I was the charity steward for a couple of organisation that raised and donated money to charities, I use to check the accounts of any charity that asked us for a donation, on checking the salaries and the list of properties owned by the so called charities I soon became disillusioned, BMW,Mercedes,Range Rover,seemed everyone had one at the charities expense,one well known animal welfare charity was not a charity (as I consider it to be )  more a property company, with thousands of properties, now any charitable contribution I make is through Lend with care,to help people support their family’s by means of a small loan to expand their business, not perfect but best I can find to date.

Anonymous
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Glad/and Sorry, :-( ,  I am not alone, pity that ‘Charity’ is now seen by Many, including Me, as ‘Ripoff’ :cry:

janehunt
    Participant
    • Topics:2
    • Replies:4
    • Contributions:6
    • Explorer

It is actually much worse here in France. There is no Charities Commission, which means that with a lack of regulation, Associations can get away with anything. And that they do. I completely agree with the original poster.

The actions of the small parties of criminals (because, in my mind, those that create Associations or charities from whom they personally profit are criminals) should be severely punished. However, the sad thing is that if you raise awareness to their seedy actions, it risks casting doubt on those Associations who are innocent.

I tried to blow the whistle on one Association whom I believe to be corrupt and ended up being cast as the enemy, exacerbated since there was little statutory back-up / care. I’d do it again in a heartbeat though.

Meanwhile, those in need continue to suffer.

There is nothing as convincing a cover than pretending to be a charity. That way, should anyone dare to speak badly of you, you know that you will be immediately defended. “How can someone who cares for xxxx, ever be a bad person??”

I’ll remain cynical to my dying day.

fea
    Participant
    • Topics:16
    • Replies:95
    • Contributions:111
    • Scout
    • ★★★

I think the worst case of blatant ‘charity’ fraud I’ve ever seen was in Venice some years ago.  My OH and I were walking through the city and saw ahead of us a young woman chatting away on her mobile, laughing and joking.  Perfect example of happy, healthy youth.  As she passed us she started to morph into a beggar.  I turned and watched.  She pulled a black scarf up over her head, bent double and started to drag a leg.  Then out came the begging bowl.  I was mesmerised by the change.  Sadly, I’ve never been able to give a beggar a penny since.  My OH is a real soft touch and still insists on giving.  Last time he gave someone a couple of euros outside Lidl I looked back and as we walked away the beggar pulled out his mobile to reply to a text!  We don’t have a mobile.  Can’t afford one.  But he could.  Beggars belief!!!!

wurzy2
    Participant
    • Topics:8
    • Replies:363
    • Contributions:371
    • ★★★★

I agree wholeheartedly about Charities. The rot seems to have touched all of them at some time – remember the  furore over Live Aid, the BBC and Red Nose Day, Oxfam and their swanky London offices?

Many years ago when I was the only white face for miles in the centre of Harare, I actually emptied my pockets and my bags of every coin and everything to eat for small children sitting in the gutter. This was followed by a meltdown – sobbing and sniffling to my OH that I just couldn’t cope with the poverty there. It was heartbreaking.  Since that time, and seeing the corruption and greed that is rife in the world,  I made up my mind that if I ever felt suspicious about my favourite charities, I’d stop giving immediately and not feel the guilt ….and I NEVER give money to beggars. If it’s cold or wet, I’ll often go and buy them a hot drink and a sandwich – it’s always easy to see who is actually hungry and who would prefer to have the cash for a steady income, a mobile phone, drink or drugs.  Maybe it shouldn’t be my decision but I am determined not to risk funding  an easy or a dangerous lifestyle for those in the crowd who may be equally determined to live outside of society.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community