Home Forums Home & Garden How many pool owners on UIF?

This topic contains 35 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  jeffp 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author

teapot
    Participant
    • Topics:2
    • Replies:33
    • Contributions:35
    • Explorer

I just wondered how many of you own swimming pools as it will be a month or so before you start to take a look at them and report how you have fared over winter.

franglosaxon
    Participant
    • Topics:8
    • Replies:156
    • Contributions:164
    • Scout
    • ★★★

I’ve got a pool table! Not affected by the four seasons.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Topics:31
    • Replies:2027
    • Contributions:2058
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

There are a few pools ( the swimming type ) around our commune , they are mostly owned by Brits that come here in the Summer, I can ask “them up the road” when they come if you like ? Not many Brits here in the Winter and those that are permanent don’t have the money for a pool .

teapot
    Participant
    • Explorer

oops, that’s unfortunate to live permanently in France without a pool

teapot
    Participant
    • Explorer

I’ve got a pool table! Not affected by the four seasons.

Are you sure? The last one I saw had turned green.

jo-infrance
    Participant
    • Topics:41
    • Replies:835
    • Contributions:876
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

October 13, 2016 19150. La Corrèze, Limousin.

Can’t really see why it’s unfortunate to live in France without a pool. Millions of people do! I don’t think they consider themselves unfortunate.
    Round here there are lots of lakes and rivers, so I don’t feel deprived, which I think was what was being suggested. Don’t much like pools anyway, I prefer open water.
    For me, living without a sewing machine or 3 would be unfortunate… Each to their own…

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

I find it very unfortunate , I suppose the accent would be on the word fortune ? That is what it costs if you calculate the days that the pool is actually used in our green and pleasant land.

We are fortunate in having good swimming facilities in our area ( some of the poorer Brit immigrants go there to shower) and a brand new swimming complex in Limoges, which they tell me is “tops ”

Are there a lot of pools in the Loire ? I had one planned behind the house but changed it to a herb garden , which we use much than would would have used a pool. :yes:   :yes:

skeletonkeys
    Participant
    • Topics:1
    • Replies:113
    • Contributions:114
    • Scout
    • ★★★

Unfortunate? Oh how I laughed!
    Should I feel wretched and forlorn now because I don’t possess a pool? What a peculiar notion.
    I love to swim in the sea, and sometimes in lakes and rivers, but jumping in to a basin contaminated with chlorine or bromine or whatever doesn’t really appeal thanks.

jeffp
    Participant
    • Topics:7
    • Replies:162
    • Contributions:169
    • Scout
    • ★★★

We have an above-ground one, we drained it and stored it this year.
    In the past we have covered the previous one with a sheet of black polythene, removed at Whit, when the water then had to be cleaned up.
    One year the wind was strong enough to partly remove the cover between Easter and whit. I got there to find the pool a lovely emerald green…….

Sadly, the resulting over-chlorination of the water to remove the algae resulted in the deterioration of the blow-up ring around the top, and by the next year, it was sadly unusable.

Our French neighbours, a now-retired farmer of veal calves, have a lovely in-ground pool. He did the major construction work himself, having at that time, access to earth moving equipment, plus somewhere for the earth to go.
    They have recently had a clear “tunnel” fitted over it, which is retractable and enables it’s use from April to November.

Having said that, a lady who used to head up our department when I worked, had a pool in the Humberside region of the UK. They heated it using a home-made solar heater. This was constructed from a sheet of 8′ x 4′ plywood, sprayed black, on which a 50m garden hose ran up and down, also spayed black. They then put a 1″ batten round it and placed an 8′ x 4′ sheet of acrylic over the whole, the water being pumped in and out of the pool by a pond pump.

It worked incredibly well…during the summer you’d not want your hand under the outlet!

jo-infrance
    Participant
    • Topics:41
    • Replies:835
    • Contributions:876
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

October 13, 2016 19150. La Corrèze, Limousin.

I’m with you SK. But being so far from the sea, lakes and rivers, with the occasional trip to a pool, are the best I can do.
    I had never before lived out of sight of the sea. It was, and still is, an odd feeling. It’s why, when I escape, I like to be near the ocean.

jeffp
    Participant
    • Scout
    • ★★★

I was born, and lived for seven years, within sight of the North Sea.

I use the word “sight” loosely: there were numerous days when you never saw the sea because of the sea fret, and the tide went out so far that it was dangerous to walk out to the water’s edge, or you risked being stranded.

Give me a nice clear river any day. Unfortunately, in the Limousin, there is neither sea nor clear river. The acidic soil charcateristics and the forests make most of the rivers look like cold tea. Our local swimming lake was just like that. When it had water in it….

teapot
    Participant
    • Explorer

Haha, my choice of words has exited the natives into posting

It’s relaxing to sit beside even if you are not swimming and on the blistering days where better to cool off. I know some have access to rivers and lakes but the commercial pools, for anyone posting about polluted with chlorine/bromine they are far worse. A well kept private pool has none of the nasty smells.

Sorry to read about your above ground pool, cheaper to have emptied cleaned and refilled as you have found out. The above ground pools usually have much thinner liners so you have to take special care.

skeletonkeys
    Participant
    • Topics:1
    • Replies:113
    • Contributions:114
    • Scout
    • ★★★

An unfortunate excited native……well, that’s a first!
    No Teapot, I prefer to relax in the shade on those blistering days without a pool nearby. My keen nose can always smell them no matter how well maintained they might be. Visually I find them unappealing, and I don’t much like the idea of their environmental impact.

vette
    Participant
    • Topics:11
    • Replies:128
    • Contributions:139
    • Scout
    • ★★★

We don’t want a pool and certainly don’t want to be taxed for the pleasure of having one. The inflatable one for the grandkids is just fine.
    Talking of tax, last year there were Helicopters in a certain department flying around looking for undeclared pools. Sneaky!

britchick
    Participant
    • Topics:28
    • Replies:289
    • Contributions:317
    • ★★★★

We had one in Brittany,and we have one being made here in Vienne.Loved the one in Brittany,and agree with previous observations about sitting by it being a joy,swimming in it is obviously great fun.Hoping to extend the season now we are further south. Yes of course you can live happily without,but also very happily with.

teapot
    Participant
    • Explorer

An unfortunate excited native……well, that’s a first! No Teapot, I prefer to relax in the shade on those blistering days without a pool nearby. My keen nose can always smell them no matter how well maintained they might be. Visually I find them unappealing, and I don’t much like the idea of their environmental impact.

I think you could only smell the badly maintained ones, one part per million of chlorine is not detectable by the human nose, it’s the byproducts of bad pools you can smell. Visually some can melt into the background like the swimming ponds do, all down to landscaping and careful planting. I am not sure what the environmental impact is that you refer to, please explain a bit more.

teapot
    Participant
    • Explorer

We had one in Brittany,and we have one being made here in Vienne.Loved the one in Brittany,and agree with previous observations about sitting by it being a joy,swimming in it is obviously great fun.Hoping to extend the season now we are further south. Yes of course you can live happily without,but also very happily with.

With your new one, try and get the walls and floor insulated, that will extend the swim season considerably with a good cover to. The locals might look at you strangely for insulating it but it works really well.

jeffp
    Participant
    • Scout
    • ★★★

Sorry to read about your above ground pool, cheaper to have emptied cleaned and refilled as you have found out. The above ground pools usually have much thinner liners so you have to take special care.

NOW she tells me…LOL

seriously, I had it in my head that water in france was incredibly expensive. I actually did spend as much on chemicals as I would have had to spend had I emptied it.

Looking at a later date at a water bill in some detail, it’s amazing just how much standing charge there is.

And our water near to St Mathieu arrives at ours with a pH of around 6.3-6.4. WAY out of spec, but we have no choices, and they have no intention of getting it INTO spec, plus they can charge us €€€ for it. Shiny clean kettles, but blue lines round all cermaics…

marmite
    Participant
    • Topics:15
    • Replies:450
    • Contributions:465
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

We,ve got our own water source…8of them..the benefit of an old tannery..I would love to dig a pool using the running water…we,ve talked about it for years..but somehow never actually started the project..now we,re thinking of down sizing…mainly the garden!i doubt it will happen.
    I will have to get a new sewing machine though…all those curtains to make ..I have an old almost industrial machine that drives me to tears nowadays when I use it…snapping the cotton etc.
    Having or not having a pool is a personal choice…a bit like making your own curtains..we all choose our pleasures.

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

They, ” the commune ” see no reason to get the water into spec . I think they did a calculation and it was too much cash ( don’t quote me on that one)  I stopped drinking the tap water a long time ago , I don’t think any one else drinks it either. We have a good spring which I am half way to getting plumbed into our system , but tooooo much to do in too little time . Most villages and houses outside the Borg had ( and have ) their own water. :yes:   :yes:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community