Home Forums General Charities

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  marmite 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

marmite
    Participant
    • Topics:18
    • Replies:476
    • Contributions:494
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

The scandal engulfing Oxfam amongst others is making me very wary…I,ve always felt that charities have become too professional..i.e. pay too much in salaries..but now I wonder if it’s worth donating at all.
    Luxury villas in Haiti…is it all getting out of hand?

farmerchris
    Participant
    • Topics:32
    • Replies:2065
    • Contributions:2097
    • Mega Star
    • ★★★★★★★★

Maybe  a strange thing to say , but I have rarely given to charities . Having had first hand experience with the end points of charities in Africa . Local government either misused the gifts or used them as bargaining and a lot  of what arrived was left to rot until ” taxes” had been paid . Europeans in general seem to underestimate the intelligence and deviousness of local third world governments .

britchick
    Participant
    • Topics:28
    • Replies:289
    • Contributions:317
    • ★★★★

I donate to Twilight,a rescue for elderly dogs.Run by two,not so young people,who have,on average,34 elderly,disabled dogs,living with them.I don’t know how they do it.The dog’s medical problems can be awful,they cope with death on a regular basis,it must be harrowing.Anyway the Oxfam scandal left me speechless.The saddest thing is ,it will leave people doubting all charities.

wurzy2
    Participant
    • Topics:8
    • Replies:363
    • Contributions:371
    • ★★★★

Many years ago, I remember helping to collect donations in the department where I worked and everyone gave willingly towards another famine in Africa. Two separate people, one Asian and one African, stated that they really hoped that the sums which were being raised in Britain would get to the source of the problems and alleviate suffering. I remember that we were all alarmed to hear then that too often when money was raised, food and medical supplies were flown to desperate areas and then sometimes locked up storage areas in villages where locals who were deemed to be in charge would sell those goods to the highest bidders, and choose when and where to distribute the aid – but always at a profit! Since then, we have seen massive sums going to charities and then being spent on their headquarters, salaries, fact-finding tours etc., rather than where it is needed most. The latest news concerning Haiti may just be the last straw for a lot of people who would normally be donating. It’s more than sad. Everywhere now is corruption and deceit – nothing seems to be what it appears anymore.

wurzy2
    Participant
    • ★★★★

Twilight! Yes I so agree, @britchick. Mike and Leanne are two selfless souls who do everything to alleviate the suffering of sick and elderly dogs who have neither homes or a future. People like those two sweethearts are a beacon of light in a very hard world.

britchick
    Participant
    • Topics:28
    • Replies:289
    • Contributions:317
    • ★★★★

Aren’t they just.Not many like them.

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

I worked on a voluntary basis for the hospice in our local area..money raising and working in a small shop donated by the owner…after several very successful years the hospice decided to make it more professional…they rented a huge shop in Cobham…paying a huge rent..then brought in a professional manager for the area…instead of an hours voluntary work paying for an hours nursing we all felt we were just paying the rent and expenses…
    I also remember my husband sending a donation to the Salvation Army and almost immediately he was inundated with requests from other charities…
    Plus tv ads….very expensive!

tomdenne
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:10
    • Contributions:10
    • Explorer

You can get a tax reduction for donating to recognised charities if you pay income tax in France, which you enter in box/es 7UD/UE. However, even the well known charities are annoyingly persistent in their demands for further contributions.

bluevelvet
    Participant
    • Topics:0
    • Replies:677
    • Contributions:677
    • Star
    • ★★★★★★

There has been a dramatic drop in income for Oxfam etc over the last few days following this scandal. I honestly think people are getting very tired of hearing that their contributions are not getting any further to the starving etc, but only as far as big salaries, big houses, and big cars, with perhaps a big bonus for good measure to the directors etc! I help the children’s air ambulance here in the UK and the local dog charity shop.

1+

bungle
    Participant
    • Topics:3
    • Replies:271
    • Contributions:274
    • ★★★★

In my opinion its time all this charity business was knocked on the head, time to start helping third world countries grow their own crops, have western companies pay proper wages, stop ripping these people off, using them as slave labour, so we can have cheap clothing and cheap food. Farmer Chris, i like the underestimate the deviousness and inteligence bit, we made them that way, its the way westerners do business in the third world, keep the palms oiled, keep them fighting each other so they dont turn on us. Just imagine how well African countries, and various other countries like India would be doing now if we had never robbed raped enslaved and generaly ripped off the populations.

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

There has to be a way to help those who have nothing.
    Rather than blaming past generations of whichever country let’s look to the future.
    Bungle thinks that any country that controls another…eg uk in India is responsible for everything wrong in the world..not true.
    Human nature has a lot to answer for,greed…power.

bungle
    Participant
    • ★★★★

Oh dear me, i said the western world is mostly responsible for what is wrong in the world, not just the UK, all of them.
    The UK has always been a major player although plenty of others have and still are playing their part.

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

I gave the uk as an example..(eg) could have said the Dutch,French ,Germans …all of them colonized countries and profited from the resources of those countries…but they also contributed in many ways.
    I don’t think that changes the fact that the uk is enormously charitable…and generous
    The question is does the money go in the right direction…that’s what worries me.
    Too much in administration..expenses..it’s become a gravy train.
    I think giving to smaller less professional charities is the way I will go!

bungle
    Participant
    • ★★★★

Expand a little more on the they also contributed in many ways bit, as in, what exactly has the west contributed to improve the lives of the average Asian, African or south American.

wurzy2
    Participant
    • ★★★★

It is such an over-simplification to state “what exactly has the West contributed to improve the lives of the average Asian, African or South American”. Read the vast amounts of literature on the subject as well as looking at their histories and Western involvement and there have been clear benefits derived from dealings with the West. That’s not to say that historically there haven’t been problems caused by occupation, misunderstanding and mistreatment of the people and the cultures, poor government leadership, as well as monumental greed, exploitation and power and land grabbing. But it’s important not to forget that citizens of these countries have their own ideas of how to get rich quick, how to exploit and starve their fellow man and to grab power to line their own pockets and safeguard their futures. Human nature being what it is, it’s unlikely that they were all innocents prior to having Westerners in their countries.Look at the damage inflicted by Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin, the despot Mugabe, Kim Jong and his predecessors. Rape and enslavement involves the country as well as its peoples in so many cases. It is likely that South Africa will shortly start taking its farms back out of the hands of the white “invaders” and give them away to the blacks. We need to hope that this will work better than it did in Zimbabwe, otherwise there will be mass starvation on the cards in South Africa before too long. Blacks will not run the farms properly, will not succeed in farming land or cattle, so will have nothing to sell, how will this be helpful in the 21st century to those who live there – owning something which is quickly rendered worthless? When opportunity knocks and there’s a chance to make a fast buck, it seems clear that a poor African will be just as quick on his feet as a company director from the West! The whole system of charity and donations does need a vast rethink, maybe this will happen after more and more financial and other scandal comes to light. Meanwhile, the original poster I think is saying that the UK, for example, is enormously charitable but she has concerns – as do many of us – that charitable donations will get to where they are most needed and not be siphoned off en route. So many Europeans have given to charities in order that those in poverty can be educated and taught skills which will help them to learn and to manage their own animals, crops and be able to support themselves. Transporting aid – unless for famine relief – is possibly not such a good idea as using funds to educate and support the poor of these countries so that they can manage themselves and learn from each other. I have given to WaterAid for many years, also to Unicef, sponsored an African and an Indian child so that they can be properly fed and attend school. Fortunately huge numbers of people do the same. When a total catastrophe occurs and survivors have absolutely nothing – not even water to drink – as in the case of the Boxing Day Tsunami, British people gave more money and offers of aid than anyone else anywhere. The total sum given by the British government had to be increased to match the public donations. Some countries promised but gave nothing at all. This was an extreme case but one which needed instant financial and other aid, not education or a hands off approach. We all need to learn from past experience but I can’t see that it’s productive to keep going on about the damage done to India, for example, in the time of the Raj. We have hopefully moved on from the days of the colonies and such outdated attitudes. Perhaps we just need to try a lot harder, to ensure that the sins of history can’t be replaced by sexual and financial scandals and those “in charge” who are found wanting should be named, shamed and rendered unemployable, to avoid the general public withdrawing their endless kindness and generosity.

marmite
    Participant
    • Guardian
    • ★★★★★

Yes wurz2,you,ve expressed very eloquently exactly what I wanted to say.
    Historical mistakes shouldn’t prevent us cleaning up the present day act.
    For someone to resign from a post because of a sex scandal then walk into a position in another high profile charity is inexcusable!
    I have a friend who was married to the mayor of her town,he and the locals funded a town in Africa..enabling them to start a farm..they are now producing food ,selling it …expanding,giving work to the locals..
    That to me is a great use of donations.
    Helping someone pay for taking on strays,cats ,dogs…left to die ,fantastic.
    Paying for people to abuse locals..not for me!

1+
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

united in france expat community